Nov 30, 2010

Bad Religion (Part I)

LEGALISM AND WORKS SALVATION

My journey of faith includes a long struggle with embracing God’s grace. In my early life, as a young child and on into adolescence and young adulthood, I was taught and embraced a legalistic system of salvation. Texts like Romans 3:28, Galatians 2:16 and Ephesians 2:8-9 gave me no pause during those years. In a sense, the salvation I believed in was gracious and free-free from the need for perfect performance of righteous living. I didn’t have to “earn” my salvation by works that made me worthy or deserving of salvation. But, my salvation did depend on my works. Works of obedience to certain commands in the New Testament (i.e., immersion, certain worship practices, etc.). If I failed to do these works perfectly, then I was not saved—no grace for me. It put inordinate and intense pressure on getting these certain obligations right (“You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel,” Matthew 23:24b). But, as long as I got these select works right, then I could be saved by grace and not works (you see the problem, right). Additionally, if I failed to act in accordance with any New Testament command, example or necessary inference, then I believed my salvation would be forfeited unless I obeyed a second set of requirements (the 2nd law of pardon) for restoration to God’s good favor. I would tell myself, “Ryan, you’re not a legalist because you know that you could never earn your salvation. It’s just a matter of attitude. The works I do are works of obedience, not works that I believe make me worthy or deserving of salvation. After all, I could never do enough works to deserve the gift of God in Christ Jesus! Right?”

Works-salvation and legalism are NOT the same things. I had collapsed together both of these false paths to salvation.

WORKS-SALVATION
Paul speaks of a man who works to earn wages. He says, “When a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation” (Romans 4:4). I do not believe I ever thought that I had earned enough wages to put God in my debt. In other words, I never dreamed that God was obligated to grant me salvation because of my works. But did I trust God for my salvation? Paul says in the next breath, “However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness”(v. 5, emphasis-RC). The issue is whether I trust God for my justification “apart from works” (v. 6).

LEGALISM
Legalism is what Paul addresses more directly in his letter to the Galatians. He says, “You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace” (Galatians 5:4). I began to see a difference of nuance. The Judiazing teachers who were “trying to pervert the gospel of Christ” (1:7), were not teaching a wholesale works-salvation. They did not expect believers to keep the whole law perfectly. They only required circumcision (See Acts 15:1b). But, Paul says, “I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law” (5:3). In doing this, Paul says, “Christ will be of no value to you at all” (5:2).

TWO PATHS, ONE PROBLEM
Works-righteousness and legalism are different in that the former requires keeping all of the works of the law perfectly, but the latter requires only keeping a select set of laws (often fulfilled in mere external/formal obedience).

Works-salvation just doesn’t work. It fails to answer the human problem of sin and weakness through the flesh (Romans 1-7). It does not understand the principle noted in James 2:10: “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.” Listen to what Paul says, “Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe” (Galatians 3:21-22). The problem with works-salvation is that no one can keep the law perfectly in every point! There is no grace under law. Let me say that again: THERE IS NO GRACE UNDER LAW.

Legalism is an attempt at “cheap” grace. I may not have ascribed to a system of works-salvation in the past. But, I was clearly a legalist. I thought that I had to keep a certain list of laws (strange how that list differs from person to person). I can remember reading from Robert Shank’s book Life in the Son and Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s book The Cost of Discipleship, and thinking that I was on the same page as these guys. How naïve I was. In the case of Bonhoeffer, I was totally missing the point. He was challenging a nation of German Christians to live out their faith in the face of Nazi fascism. As I think about it now, I am amazed at how I could read that book and not be convicted. I was doing exactly what so many pre-World War II German Christians had done—trusting my salvation to an external obedience to a certain set of religious duties. I’d have to admit that the kind of Christianity I espoused during those years had little in it to stand against the “powers” of a third Reich. But, that’s the seduction of legalism. It’s like tricking yourself into thinking you’ve found a legal loop-hole. “If I just get these things right,” you say to yourself, “then I’ll be saved” (the result is often an external and weak religion). And, in the final analysis, the legalist trusts in works of law (law-keeping) for salvation no less than the person who embraces wholesale works-salvation. Both works-salvation and legalism are paths to salvation that depend on law for justification. And, there’s the rub…

9 comments:

  1. I'm currently preaching through the Epistle to the Romans. My study of 1:16-17;3:21-31 has really opened my eyes and has helped me understand the work of Christ on the cross and how we have been saved through our faith in Christ's atoning sacrifice...completely apart from works. No wonder it's called "The Good News"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fascinating and very convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's say I agree with what you say above (if I don't, I'm pretty close)--that is, e.g., that how I worship is not a legal "act of obedience" that somehow helps justify me. Isn't it still important to obey the Lord's direct commands?

    For example, in 1 Corinthians 11, doesn't Paul essentially say to that church, "Stop what you're doing; instead, do the Lord's Supper the way Jesus did when he instituted it."

    The ritual doesn't save or justify me, it's not more important than commands to love, help the orphans and widows, etc. But it's still a command, isn't it? Doesn't that mean we have to do it?

    Also, with regard to the phrase "works of obedience," could you please discuss James 2? What does it mean that Abraham was "justified" by his offer to sacrifice Isaac?

    It seems to me that in context, the "works" we are being urged to perform are not baptism or rites of worship, but helping the poor, the orphans, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,

    Yes, it does sound like we’re on the same page. I think it’s hard for people who have grown up in legalistic/fundamentalist churches to wrap their heads around what it means to live under grace. I know for me it was a challenge. We get stuck in “all or nothing” thinking. The reasoning goes like this:

    Since works—even works of obedience—will not save me, then works must not matter at all, and I don’t have to be obedient to God.

    The problem with this line of reasoning is that it makes works/obedience only relevant to salvation. As you correctly pointed out, James speaks of works that save, but in the sense that they “Show” a person to have genuine faith. His faith is justified (vindicated). This section in James begins with “What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but no deeds? Can such faith save him?” (2:14). The authenticity and genuineness of a man’s faith is what his deeds indicate. James is not calling for perfect law-keeping as a basis for salvation. He acknowledges that it is “faith” that will save. But, it’s not just any kind of faith, but a working, living faith (2:17). Remember, James is writing to Christians (who are presumably correct in doctrine and ceremonial observances). The problem James addresses is Christian ethics—“What good is it?” This is where our works are very important.

    We who follow Jesus want to work! Lord, make us workers in Your kingdom! But, we work to show Jesus our love, our thanksgiving, and to give Him the glory! We do not work to skate by the pearly gates through some legal loop-hole. Also, see Galatians 5:6, “The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself (working) through love.”

    Living under grace means that I don’t have to fret and worry that I might mess up and blow my chances at heaven. Living under grace means that I probably will mess up, but I just have to keep trusting in Jesus for all my messes, and keep taking His hand to lift me up. Could I refuse His grace? Absolutely. People do it all the time. One way people refuse God’s grace is to supplant it with law-keeping (Gal. 5:4).

    When it comes to 1 Cor. 11… or any other issue of church practice like the Lord’s Supper… I believe we must be obedient. There are many questions about what is spiritually significant in the Lord’s Supper (unbroken/broken bread, unleavened/leavened bread, fermented wine/unfermented grape juice, one cup/more than one, Thursday/Sunday, Sunday only?, upper room?, men only?, whole church gatherings only?, with a common meal/without?). I doubt that I will ever hash out all these particulars. I’m sure thankful that my salvation does not depend on getting everything right! Jesus knows my heart. I want to do what He wants me to do. But, I know I won't always get it right, even when I'm trying my very best. Jesus wants more than legal obedience. He wants your heart, as Bonhoeffer makes so abundantly clear in "Cost of Discipleship."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes... as for Abraham, I believe James is making a similar point. So, then, Abraham was justified in the sense that his "faith" was being tested and he passed the test. It wasn't that he never sinned, or that he was hoping that making this sacrifice would make him worthy or legally just. Again, it's about the genuiness of a person's faith. Interstingly, when Paul cites Abraham as an example, he cites a passage that clearly shows Abraham doing nothing except believing the promise of God, and he was justified. So, while Paul and James use the same word, they are using differently. Paul uses it in the legal, judicial sense. James uses it in the ethical, demonstrative sense. Paul deals with justification before God, who knows the heart. James deals with justification before others, and people require an outward demonstration of faith. I might suggest that 'justification' in James be read 'vindication.' I know there are plenty of exegetical helps that work out this issue between Paul and James much better than I am able. But, I don't think James is teaching works-righteousness or countering the doctrine of grace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comments. Your discussion of James, Abraham and "justification" versus "vindication" is compelling.

    With regard to 1 Corinthians and the Lord’s Supper, I notice that Paul doesn’t point the Corinthians back to the Lord’s example of using an upper room, sharing the emblems without women present, or how fermented the grape juice was. Some of those distinctives may be relevant, some may not. But Paul does emphasize the picture of “oneness” inherent in a proper Lord’s Supper, and points to it as helpful to restoring unity to a divided, resentful congregation. “Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread” (1 Cor 10:17 rsv). (For a great study on the Lord’s Supper by someone who comes from a completely different background, check out Eric Svendsen’s "The Table of the Lord" (http://snipurl.com/1lta7u)

    Have you ever read Malcom Gladwell’s "Tipping Point?" It’s got a section about the neocortex and human relationships. Basically, the size of the human neocortex suggests that we are able to maintain effective relationships with no more than about 150 people. (It sounds crazy, but if you read the book in context, not so much.) For example, in complete harmony with the research on small schools, Gladwell says, ‘If we want to, say, develop schools in disadvantaged communities that can successfully counteract the poisonous atmosphere of their surrounding neighborhoods, this tells us we're probably better off building lots of little schools than one or two big ones’(p. 182).” (from a book review at http://snipurl.com/1lta95 ).

    As for school size, so for church size? Maybe the best size for churches, at least when it comes to effective interpersonal relationships, is no more than 150. Practicing the Lord’s Supper the way Paul seems to command the Corinthians would certainly limit the size of each church!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thoughts! Appreciate the insights from Gladwell's book. I have read that book. As I recall, he also points out that human beings are only able to be emotionally close to 10-15 people at one time. No doubt, Gladwell's insights are helpful for ministry. I don't know that I'm ready to make ecclesiological assumptions based on these ideas. Maybe, this information is more helpful in dealing with small group ministry, than establishing "rules" about church size.

    I've not read Dr. Svendsen's book. But, I am aware of other scholars that advocate for house churches, one-cup/one-loaf, etc., from a non-legalistic stand-point (i.e., Howard Marshall). As I see it, in 1 Cor. 11, Paul points the church back to the tradition of the Lord's Supper, because they were no longer doing it (11:20). At minimum, they had so over-emphasized the common meal at their gatherings that the significance of the Lord's Supper was lost in the mix. I understand the "unworthy manner" in which the church was eating and drinking to refer to their treatment of the meal as a common thing. "Discerning the body" refers to the Lord's body as it is presented in the bread. I realize there are differing views on this. I would question that Paul was intentionally limiting the size of churches by saying that every gathering of the church must distribute communion the same way that Jesus did when he instituted it with 12 men. That said, I realize others may see a clear restriction in these texts.

    As for 1 Cor. 10:17, I would ask us to consider the context of eating meat offered to idols. The whole point of this passage is that Christians may not participate in both the Lord's table and the table of demons. The "one bread" probably does refer to a single loaf. But, it isn't the "oneness" of the bread that makes "we who are many one." It's the fact that we who are many, all participate in what the bread becomes for us who believe. We are connected first to Christ, and then secondarily to other believers as we participate together in the Lord's Supper. The way in which wine and bread are distributed is secondary to what those elements become to believers who participate at the Lord's table (we might also make a rule about using only one table). I believe Paul is making a point about identification in the Lord's Supper in contrast to identification with demons. Interestingly, Paul throws in an illustration from the altar of Israel. He says: "Consider the people of Israel: are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar? So, eating the wine and bread of the Lord's Supper does not make us participants with wine and bread, does it? No, it makes us participants with the cross of Jesus Christ--the only true basis for Christian oneness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To clarify, I did not mean to suggest that the Gladwell book was an appropriate basis for "establishing rules about church size." Rather, for people like me who believe the NT limits us to one cup and one loaf in the communion, it offers a clue as to why *the Lord* would have "established rules" whose practical effect would clearly limit church size--just as the book also confirms the value of small group ministry, which you and I both believe is also indicated by the NT.

    Clearly, we disagree about whether the Corinthians passage indicates the number of cups of loaves appropriate for the Lord's Supper. That difference aside, I find value in your study and and comments. I want to ponder the "participants in the altar" illustration for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ryan & Anonymous,

    Thank you both for your gentle and loving spirits as you discuss these sometimes controversial topics. I have enjoyed reading your posts.

    John

    ReplyDelete